Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What happened to the post?

I was so happy I finally got my comments to post.  Now the last update about the read-alouds put in the headig without the actual comment.  Sigh!  I jsut can't win!

Round two!
In reading the article on “Revisiting Read-Aloud”, the phrase “preaching to the choir” came to mind. 
A few years ago I took a class with Toni Macglasker (don’t think I spelled it right!) who was an assistant principal at Allatoona Elementary at the time.  We examined test data, did running records, compiled data notebooks for reading and writing, did student goal setting, and how to do read-alouds. 
I have used “making connections” , but not the “alpha-boxes”.  Wednesday, after we got back from the library, I had the students review the first four chapters of The Outsiders and complete the organizer for characters, settings, and major events. 

Results:  They are really getting in to it.  It’s more like a puzzle instead of a review sheet to them.  I'm doing the organizer with them to let them have a model for how theirs should look.  They got a kick out of giving an answer I didn't have and seeing me write it on mine.
I sent the template out to the rest of the school so others can use it in their subject areas.  I can see definite subject area possibilities.  In fact, I'll more than likely use it to review religions in the Middle East in my Social Studies class.

No comments:

Post a Comment