Tuesday, August 23, 2011

article - boys and reading

I was trying to do a Google search today for leveled reading passages for middle school - couldn't find any - and I ran across a piece from the New York Times written by Robert Lipsyte - He's a writer of books aimed at middle / high boys.  It's a really good article on what he sees as the problem connecting boys reading and the current publishing climate.  According to him, boys aren't reading because 85% of the books being published lately are aimed at girls.  AMEN!  I think he's right on the money with this one.  If you want to turn a boy off to reading, try to get him to read a "touchy-feely" book!  He also points out other things he perceives as problems for boys and books.  I'm definitely going be looking closer at my reading choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment