Monday, September 12, 2011

vocabulary lesson

We are reading The Outsiders in my 7th grade reading class.  I wrote the 10 words for chapters 9 and 10 on the board and told them to put them in their notebooks with space for definitions.

I then told the kids to skim the chapters until they found one of the words and let me know.  When someone found a word they had to read the sentence where it was and tell what was going on at that point.

 I then asked the class what they thought the word meant in the context of the story.  With very little help from me they were able to get pretty good definitions/descriptions of the words. 

And they were proud of themselves.

2 comments:

  1. Great activity! How can you share this with other faculty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grade level meetings would be one way. Marsha and I have been asked to redeliver information from the CALC packet at next week's grade levels.

    ReplyDelete