Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Guided Comprehension

Guided comprehension: a teaching model for grades 3-8 [Book]
I don' know if anyone still has a copy of this book - we got it as a "free" gift for attending a staff development activity years ago.  Even if you don't want to set up your classroom by their guidelines, the section in the middle has a wealth of activities for before - during - after reading both narrative and expository text.  I've used several in science classes as well as reading/literature.  When you see my book sets with post-it strips hanging out it's because we were using activities from this book.

 At the Academy I could put each class in a different book since each was a different grade level. They knew what number they were assigned (books did not go home), so the notes in each book were theirs.  They could go back and find specific items easier, making review and discussions flow better. ..not to mention they were not writing in my books!

(You can find the book used pretty cheap online.)

2 comments:

  1. You are really rounding up resources. This is terrific and very useful. OK. Now, I have to ask, have you read Proust and the Squid by Maryann Wolf yet?? This is a critical next step. I can't wait to see your posts once you digest that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked online with the library and they have a copy. I'm going to try to get there this week and pick it up.

    ReplyDelete