Thursday, February 2, 2012

update on group work

Yesterday I sat with the low group in one of the reading classes - this is the group I'm working with for class.  They had yet to finish reading both chapters assigned last week in their group book.  I went over the events in chapter 4 with them, then started reading chapter 5.  When I read aloud they were able to easily asnwer the comprehension questions and discuss character motivation.  The book is The House of Dies Drear by Virginia Hamilton, which is a Lexile of 670 - about mid to late 3rd grade. 

So, I'm finding they can understand what they hear, they just cannot read comfortably at the 3rd grade level.

We're doing 2-column note taking on all book levels using Theme and supporting details.  I'll continue to work along with this group part of the period.

2 comments:

  1. How are the two column notes being used by the students? Are they beginning to see the utility of them? As a side question, what could be done to improve their ability to call words at grade level? It sounds like they enjoy and can comprehend the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some groups were able to find supporting details for the themes with relative ease. The lower groups had more difficulty. But, with the lower students segregated out into that group, it allows more input from me when they hit a snag.

    ReplyDelete